A lightning strike hit a Baton Rouge duplex Thursday afternoon in the Gardere area, sparking a fire in the attic and displacing two families, St. George Fire Department Eldon Ledoux said.

The fire department received a call around 4:40 p.m. about a fire at 8301 Ned Ave., Ledoux said. The fire was brought under control by 5:06 p.m., he said. There were no injuries.

“It didn’t run down significantly into living quarters,” Ledoux said. “The bathroom ceiling and utility ceiling came in, but the fire damage was limited to the attic.”

Ledoux said there was smoke damage throughout the living quarters, though. Firefighters called Red Cross to the scene.