Fire investigators are perplexed after two fires, one ruled accidental and the other ruled arson, erupted at the same Winnebago Street house between Friday night and early Saturday morning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to a small blaze that overtook one bedroom of a $40,000 home in the 2500 block of Winnebago St. around 9:30 p.m. Friday night, Fire Department spokesperson Curt Monte said.

The fire was ruled an accident, caused by a space heater placed too close to linens, Monte said. Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 10 minutes, and there were no injuries, Monte said.

The family of at least three who lived there left for the evening, Monte said.

Later, firefighters responded to the same location around 2 a.m. Saturday morning and found flames overtaking the roof and coming out the back of the house. It took firefighters nearly an hour to bring the blaze under control, Monte said. The house was ruined, he said.

Monte said investigators found multiple points of origin for the fire, suggesting it was started purposefully.

“Somebody did it the second time,” Monte said.

However, he said, the first fire is still considered accidental at this point.

The investigation is ongoing, and Monte said anyone with information should call fire investigators at (225) 354-1419.