Four Baton Rouge police officers were involved in a shooting that killed an armed man after a chase that ended in West Baton Rouge Parish, a police spokesman said.

“It appears that all four officers fired their weapons,” police spokesman Sgt. Don Stone said Saturday in a phone interview.

The man shot was Darryl Douglas Parault, 48, of Jarreau, said Trooper Russell Graham, a State Police spokesman.

The names of the officers were not released.

The incident started about 11:15 p.m. Friday when a Baton Rouge police officer in a marked police car tried to pull over Parault for a traffic violation on Airline Highway near Florida Boulevard, Stone said Saturday in a news release.

Stone did not elaborate on what the violation was.

Parault refused to stop, and led police on a pursuit over the U.S. 190 Bridge into West Baton Rouge Parish, the release says.

Three more officers in police cruisers eventually joined the chase, Stone said.

The pursuit, which never reached high speeds, continued west on U.S. 190 past La. 415. About a mile west of the intersection of U.S. 190 and La. 415, Parault pulled over on the right shoulder of La. 415, the release says.

As Parault got out of his small pickup truck as ordered, the “officers observed a gun in his hand,” Stone’s release says.

The police ordered Parault to drop the gun.

When he refused to comply, the “officers shot him,” the release says.

Parault died at the scene, the release says.

The West Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Office removed Parault’s body from the scene, the release says.

State Police is investigating the incident. More information about the incident will be released after the investigation is done, Graham said.

The Baton Rouge Police Violent Crimes Division and the West Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office helped with the on-scene investigation.

The four officers, who are assigned to the Uniform Patrol Division, were placed on paid administrative leave. Stone said that is standard practice when an officer is involved in a shooting.

Stone said the officers would return to work once the investigation is done.

“Once the investigation is completed, we see no reason why this would not turn out to be justified,” Stone said.

Staff writer Robert Stewart contributed to this report.