A small fire caused a lot of disruption Wednesday for residents of the Catholic-Presbyterian Apartments, 655 North St., in Baton Rouge.

The fire, originating in a kitchen, was out before firefighters arrived, but water from the sprinkler system flooded the one fifth-floor apartment and the floors below it, Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said. “Before they could get it shut off, the water seeped from the fifth floor down to the first floor.”

The complex was able to provide alternative housing for most of the residents and the American Red Cross Louisiana Capital Area Chapter stepped in and provided lodging for 11 others at area hotels.

“Volunteers remain available to the families for support, counseling and referrals to other local agencies,” Red Cross Public Affairs Manager Melissa Eugene-Duplantier said.