Firefighters rescued two pet dogs from a burning house on Batavia Avenue on Friday afternoon after a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the home’s attic vents.

The St. George Fire Department was called to a Baton Rouge house fire at 16135 Batavia Ave. shortly before 5 p.m. and arrived to find fire in the attic and two pets, a Pekingese and a Shih Tzu, inside the home, a Fire Department release says.

Both of the dogs were rescued unharmed; the owner was not home at the time of the fire.

There were no injuries, but the house sustained moderate fire damage as well as serious smoke and water damage, the release says.

Fire investigators determined that an electrical problem near the hot water heater sparked the fire.