Investigators: Arson suspected in Maryland Street fire _lowres

Advocate Staff file photo by Kerry Maloney

A child playing with a candle started a fire that burned through the living room and kitchen of a house at 1566 Goudchaux St. on Friday morning, the Baton Rouge Fire Department announced.

Firefighters arrived at 8:14 a.m. and had the fire under control by 8:46 a.m., department Public Information Officer Mark Miles said.

While the fire was contained to the kitchen and living room and the attic spaces of above them, the rest of the home suffered heavy smoke damage, he said.

Damage is estimated at $35,000 to the $70,000 home, plus another $15,000 in contents damage.

“The minor child will be counseled and placed in the Baton Rouge Fire Department’s Juvenile Fire Setter Program,” Miles said.