A dog suffered smoke inhalation in a house fire Monday believed to have been triggered by an electrical short, but was rescued even though firefighters were impeded by the burglar bars on the home’s front door.

Smoke was pouring from the house when Baton Rouge firefighters arrived at 7:44 p.m., but they first had to cut off burglar bars from the front door before making their way inside the home at 1927 77th Ave.

No one was home at the time except for the dog. Firefighters rescued the pet from inside the house and gave the dog oxygen to help with its breathing. “The dog was doing fine when they left,” Mark J. Miles, public information officer for the Baton Rouge Fire Department, said in a news release.

The single-family home sustained an estimated $45,000 in damage, while another estimated $10,000 in other items were destroyed in the blaze. Firefighters contacted the Red Cross to assist the family.