A lit but forgotten candle in a rear bedroom set fire to a house at 3719 Tuscarora St. early Thursday morning, torching two bedrooms, forcing a family of seven to flee from the home and sending one adult to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Baton Rouge firefighters got the call at 2:19 a.m., reached the house four minutes later to see the rear of the home ablaze, and had it under control almost 40 minutes later. There was smoke damage throughout the house and the financial loss is estimated at $35,000, said Curt Monte, a fire department spokesman.