Baton Rouge police arrested 10 people during what the department described as “proactive patrols” over the past week, seizing four guns, various drugs and about $2,500 in cash.
Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a department spokesman, said patrolling officers followed up on tips from the community to make the arrests.
McKneely said Thursday that “proactive patrols” do not consist of officers conducting random stops in search of illegal guns or drugs.
An example of a “proactive patrol,” he said, is if officers receive tips that certain people are selling drugs or possessing guns at a particular location but the police do not have enough evidence to issue search warrants, they might keep a close eye out for traffic violations in the area.
Those stops might lead officers to illegal items they otherwise wouldn’t encounter, he said.
“If it’s a high-crime area, they try to shut it down some, slow things up,” McKneely said.
The patrols highlighted by the department took place Saturday and Wednesday. They were conducted by members of the department’s “BRAVE” unit, which is named after the Baton Rouge Violence Elimination project.
Officers patrolling on Saturday near Southern University during its homecoming football game seized three handguns and arrested three men.
The department “conducted proactive patrols inside the city limits of Baton Rouge” on Wednesday, which resulted in the seizure of one stolen handgun, nearly $1,000, about 1.3 pounds of marijuana and 1 gram of crack cocaine, McKneely said.
In addition, following up on a tip about illegal drugs in the 70802 ZIP code, officers seized seven marijuana plants, a half-ounce of marijuana, a form of ecstasy called “molly” and a half-gram of marijuana wax, which can be smoked.
Those arrested during the patrols include:
- Julian Washington, 21, 1908 Old Barnwood Drive, Zachary, illegal possession of a stolen firearm.
- Eradley Ben, 23, 713 Loran St., Ville Platte, illegal carrying of weapons, criminal damage to property and resisting an officer.
- Alvin Ellis, 20, 4886 Longfellow Drive, Baton Rouge, illegal discharge of a firearm, illegal carrying of a firearm and resisting arrest by flight.
- Albert Harris, 25, 1970 Maryland St., Baton Rouge, possession with intent to distribute marijuana.
- Terrance Hart, 36, 4037 St. Andrew Drive, Baton Rouge, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine.
- Abbott Buchbaum, 18, 3901 Purdue Drive, Metairie, possession with intent to distribute marijuana in excess of 28 grams.
- Kaitlin Glasser, 20, 3901 Purdue Drive, Metairie, possession with intent to distribute marijuana in excess of 28 grams.
- Pierre Bell, 25, 4852 Jefferson Ave., Baton Rouge, simple robbery, domestic abuse battery and a fugitive count.
- Devonte Haynes, 22, 18041 Hoo Shoo Too Road, Baton Rouge, illegal possession of a stolen firearm.
- Brett Roberge, 19, 4500 Burbank Drive, possession with intent to distribute ecstasy, possession with intent to distribute marijuana and cultivation of marijuana.