A 17-year-old shot in the head early Sunday died overnight after being taken off life support, a police spokesman said.
Police found Justice Thompson lying on the pavement of the 2000 block of Adams Avenue around 2:25 a.m. Sunday, Sgt. Don Stone said.
The teen and an 18-year-old woman were sitting in a vehicle when gunshots were fired at the car, Stone said.
The woman was not injured.
Stone said police have not made any arrests or named any suspects in the shooting. They also have no motive for the crime.
Anyone with information about this incident can contact police at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-STOP or (225) 344-7867.
Authorities search for missing BR man
Deputies are searching for David Maurice Singleton, 47, who is missing and was last seen by a family member on Sept. 8, a Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman said.
Singleton was last seen at 1 a.m. when he was dropped off near his home on North Buttonwood Drive, Casey Rayborn Hicks said.
Singleton’s family has not seen or heard from him since and are concerned for his safety, Hicks said.
Singleton is black, approximately 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighs 170 pounds, Hicks said.
He is bald with brown eyes and has multiple tattoos, she said. Singleton is also missing a front tooth.
Anyone with information about Singleton’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at (225) 389-5000.
Hospital: Scam not connected to OLOL
Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital is warning the public of a scam that claims to benefit the hospital’s foundation, a hospital spokeswoman said.
The scam involves door-to-door solicitation of magazines and books ranging from $50 to more than $100, Kelly Zimmerman said.
“Our Lady of the Lake Foundation is not participating in door-to-door solicitation,” she said. “We have notified local law enforcement of this situation.”
To report such solicitation, contact law enforcement, Zimmerman said. For questions about Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital’s or the Our Lady of the Lake Foundation’s fundraising activities, contact (225) 765-8994.
Kitchen fire causes blaze at duplex
An accidental kitchen fire is to blame for a duplex blaze that started Tuesday morning at 41714 Southpark Drive, a St. George Fire Protection District spokesman said.
The fire was reported at 11:17 a.m., Eldon Ledoux said. The blaze started in the kitchen but was quickly put out.
The kitchen and living room received serious fire damage, and heavy smoke and heat spread throughout the apartment, the release says.
Utilities were cut off because of the damage, Ledoux said. None of the seven residents were injured.
Authorities book one on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least one person suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, booking records show.
Dax Wilson-Boyer, 28, 8717 Grandview Drive, was booked into Parish Prison on one count each of second-offense DWI, improper lane usage and text messaging prohibited.