Where there was smoking, there ended up being fire late Monday in a house at 3457 Canonicus St. in north Baton Rouge.

“This fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials,” Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesperson Curt Monte said in an email.

Firefighters arrived at 10:58 p.m. to find a mattress in a rear bedroom on fire, he said.

The department responded with four pumper trucks, one ladder truck and two support vehicles and had the fire under control by 11:23 p.m., Monte said.

The fire was contained to the bedroom, but the rest of house received smoke damage, he said, estimating damages at $5,000 to the house and $500 to contents.

The two residents escaped without injury, Monte said.