Update, 4:10 p.m.:

Darlene Williams, mother of the 16-year-old victim, said her daughter has died.

Baton Rouge police confirm that Williams has died in a news release and say the shooting remains under investigation.

Update, Friday:

The mother of the Baton Rouge girl accidentally shot in the head by her uncle Thursday evening said her daughter is on a ventilator.

Baton Rouge police arrested the 16-year-old uncle Thursday after he was accused of accidentally shooting his niece, who remained in critical condition Friday at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center.

The boy was playing with a firearm in the kitchen with his niece, who is also 16, when he shot her in the head, according to a Baton Rouge Police Department news release.

Darlene Williams, the mother of the victim, said doctors plan to take her daughter, Darneisha Williams, off the ventilator temporarily Saturday for 5-10 minutes to test whether she can breathe on her own.

Before her daughter would be declared brain dead, Williams said, the doctors “say they have to have two more tests. They don’t know for sure.”

Williams said her little brother and her daughter were best friends and that the boy is currently on suicide watch following the shooting.

“Yes, he is responsible, and yes my child is in ICU. But still, he is my brother and her uncle,” Williams said. “I will say this, if my brother was charged for an accident so should everyone else.”

East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar C. Moore III said Friday if the girl is declared dead, it is likely the counts against her uncle, whose name has not been released, would be increased.

Adonica Duggan, spokesman for the East Baton Rouge school system, confirmed that Darneisha Williams was a student at Broadmoor.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Darneisha Williams during this tragedy,” Duggan said. “Our schools have been touched by this type of incident far too often this year. We are working with our ICARE and school staff to provide students and faculty with the support they need.”

Williams, sobbing on the end of the phone, said her daughter is an honor roll student at Broadmoor High School and that at the time of the shooting she was living with her aunt and cousins at their Brady Street home to be closer to the school.

“I want my baby back,” Williams said. “She would’ve loved to finish school.”

Original story:

Police arrested a 16-year-old boy Thursday after he was accused of accidentally shooting his niece in the head and sending her to the hospital, where she remained in critical condition late Thursday.

The Broadmoor High junior was rushed to the hospital from her Brady Street house after another relative heard the gunshot and found her lying on the kitchen floor.

Baton Rouge police were called out about 5 p.m. to the house in the 3800 block of Brady Street, which backs up to Dalton Elementary.

Howard Calhoun, who is a brother-in-law to the shooter and an uncle to the victim, said his niece was in a coma at the hospital.

Sitting among a cluster of family members on the porch of their neighbor’s house Thursday evening, Calhoun recounted what happened.

“I was in my room, and I heard a shot,” Calhoun said. “I came in when he came out. He said, ‘I shot my niece! I shot my niece!’ I looked in the kitchen, and she was laying on the floor.”

Calhoun said his brother-in-law was visiting the family that day and was alone in the kitchen with his niece when the shooting took place.

Calhoun said he had warned his brother-in-law not to bring a gun around and that no one knew he had brought one to the house until they heard the gunshot.

“I’ve gotten onto him before about playing with guns because I’ve got too many kids running around here,” Calhoun said.

Police arrested the shooter, whose identity was not released, later that evening after detectives concluded the teenager had accidentally shot the girl while he was playing with a gun, according to a Baton Rouge Police Department news release.

Police don’t know how the shooter obtained the gun, the release says.

Calhoun said his brother-in-law would not have shot his niece on purpose.

Next-door neighbor Jimmy Jackson said he heard the gunshot while he was sitting in his truck getting ready to leave his house. “A guy ran through there,” Jackson said, pointing toward his yard, “and up the street.”

He got out to ask the family what had happened, and they told him the girl had been shot, Jackson said.

Jackson, who had moved to his house two months ago, said he watched EMS personnel carry the girl out on a stretcher.