The 27-year-old man who was shot multiple times by a BRPD officer after fleeing a DWI traffic stop on August 31 has been released from the hospital, Baton Rouge Police said.
Shortly after he left the hospital on Thursday, Derek Davis was booked into Parish Prison on counts of attempted disarming of a police officer, battery of a police officer, resisting an officer, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, driving while intoxicated and a stop sign violation, said Cpl. Don Coppola, a Baton Rouge Police spokesman.
BRPD officer Matthew Jackson pulled Davis over just after 1 a.m. near Glendale and Morning Glory avenues on suspicions that Davis was driving drunk.
A witness saw that Davis, of 10812 Stanley Aubin Lane in Baton Rouge, was about to get in a police car after taking sobriety tests when he suddenly took off running toward Morning Glory Avenue. Jackson gave chase, and police have said the two got in a confrontation and a struggle for the officer’s gun, after which multiple shots were fired.
Jackson, who has been on the Baton Rouge police force for five years, was placed on administrative leave after the shooting pending an internal investigation.
Man booked with alleged Hobby Lobby obscenity
St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 40-year-old man accused of exposing himself to two women in a Hobby Lobby in Baton Rouge on September 10.
Joe Christian III, who lives in Destrehan, was transported back to Baton Rouge and booked into Parish Prison on a count of obscenity, Coppola said.
Police had released a photo of Christian after the incident occurred at a Hobby Lobby on College Drive.
Six people arrested on suspicion of driving drunk
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Christopher Adams, 23, 790 McKeithen Drive, Alexandria, first-offense DWI and improper lane use.
- Kayla Carter, 21, 3702 Thunderbird St., Missouri City, Texas, first-offense DWI, headlights required, speeding and reckless operation.
- Welbith Mota, 27, 43 Beechwood Ave., Torrington, Connecticut, first-offense DWI, criminal damage to property, careless operation and driving with a suspended or revoked license.
- Dimitri Victor, 19, 15722 Woodwick Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, seatbelt violation, possession of drug paraphernalia, reckless operation and possession with intent to distribute or manufacture a schedule-1 drug.
- Candace Watson, 45, 4534 Clark St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Latroy Williams, 36, 3032 Quebec Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and speeding.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.