Ascension Parish deputy: Woman booked twice in a week for DWI with infant in car; blood-alcohol level four times over the legal limit for driving each time _lowres

Katherine Summerfield

A 32-year-old woman, who had her infant in the car both times, was arrested twice in the last week for DWI, and each time tests showed her blood alcohol level was more than four times the legal limit for operating a vehicle.

Ascension Parish sheriff’s deputies were called to the Countryview Trailer Park in the 47000 block of La. 22 on Monday night to address a domestic disturbance, Maj. Ward Webb said in a Sheriff’s Office news release.

As deputies arrived, Katherine Summerfield drove away in her vehicle with her infant, who was unrestrained, Webb said. Deputies followed and stopped her, at which point Summerfield said she had consumed alcohol, Webb said. A chemical test revealed her blood alcohol level was more than four times the legal limit for driving, he said.

In Louisiana, a 0.08 percent blood-alcohol content is presumptive evidence of drunken driving.

Summerfield was booked early Tuesday morning into the Ascension Parish jail on a fourth-offense DWI and a child passenger restraint violation.

Summerfield had bailed out of jail a day earlier, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Allison Hudson said.

She was arrested Saturday when deputies found her asleep in her running vehicle after a concerned neighbor had removed her child from the vehicle.

A blood-alcohol test revealed that she was again four times over the legal limit for operating a vehicle, Webb said. She was arrested and booked on third-offense DWI and child endangerment, Webb said in the release.

She posted bail Sunday and was released.

Summerfield’s Saturday arrest was the third time she was arrested in February for DWI. She also was arrested Feb. 1 by State Police.

The Sheriff’s Office arrested Summerfield on a first-offense DWI in July along with counts of child endangerment, hit-and-run, careless operation and traffic-control signals, Webb said.

Summerfield is being held without bail pending a hearing Monday, the release says.

Monday night’s case remains under investigation, and more counts may be added, according to the release.