Firefighters who were called to the Hampton Court Apartments, 2424 Drusilla Lane, about 4:45 a.m. Sunday, saw smoke coming from the building, Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said in a news release.
They found fire in the wall near the heating unit of a downstairs apartment. But when firefighters started putting out the flames, they saw that the fire had gotten into the wall and spread to the attic.
Crews removed Sheetrock from the walls and eventually cut a hole in the roof to control the blaze, Miles’ release says.
Baton Rouge and St. George Fire Department firefighters controlled the fire by about 6:10 a.m. and kept the fire from spreading through the whole building, the release says.
Three of the eight units sustained fire damage, four had water damage and all eight were damaged by smoke.
The fire caused $160,000 in damage to the building and contents, the release says. The building’s value before the fire is estimated at $300,000.
The firefighter who suffered a leg injury was taken to a hospital, the release says.
Family escapes Erie Street fire; dog killed
Two people escaped an Erie Street house fire Saturday night, but the family dog fell victim to the blaze.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department arrived at 2331 Erie St. about 10:50 p.m. Saturday and found flames engulfing the front of the house, Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said Sunday in a news release.
“Firefighters made a speedy attack to bring the fire under control,” Miles said in the release. “The renters were able to get out safely, but the family dog was not able to escape.”
The house received heavy fire and smoke damage. The house, estimated to be worth about $50,000 before the fire, received about $30,000 in damage and another $10,000 in contents was lost, Miles’ release says.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but foul play is not suspected, Miles said.
Authorities book 14 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 14 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Donald Anders, 73, 748 Patricia Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Vantar Bell, 32, 3560 White Haven Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Dequincey Brown, 23, 429 East Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and following too closely.
- Rashad Buie, 33, 14235 Bywood Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Larry Coleman, 29, 2108 Gore Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to signal.
- Quintasha Crump, 39, 11703 Jolson Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Anthony Douglas, 28, 2023 W. Azalea Ave., Baker, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Joshua Gant, 29, 11320 GR Fairlane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and driver’s license required.
- Raven Johnson, 28, 1840 Chamberlin Ave., Baker, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle.
- Eddie Kilbourne, 49, 7337 Melpomene Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI and improper lane use.
- Tyler Laurent, 17, 6141 Shallow Brook, Zachary, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and possession of marijuana.
- Alexis Leggett, 31, 4343 Clark St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Edward Lewis, 27, 256 Lakecrest Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, possession of an alcoholic beverage in vehicle and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- Carolyn Wright, 45, 3468 Percy Dreher Road, Slaughter, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and disobeying a police officer.
To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.