Police issue warrant in fatal beating
Baton Rouge police issued a warrant for a 19-year-old man wanted in the beating of a 52-year-old man who slipped into a coma and died after he suffered a broken jaw.
Police believe that Larry Paul pulled Enorris Jones from his car on June 18 while in the 1000 block of North 31st Street and beat Jones until his jaw began to bleed heavily, according to the arrest warrant.
Jones, 7866 Videt Polk Drive, was taken to Baton Rouge General Medical Center Mid-City where his jaw was found to be broken and was wired shut soon after. But Jones was able to give critical information to police about his assailant, said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a police spokesman.
Soon after, Jones suffered complications and went into a coma. He was placed on a ventilator, the warrant says. Weeks after the attack, Jones was taken off the ventilator and died July 1.
Paul, 1005 N. 32nd Street, Baton Rouge, is wanted for second-degree murder. He remained at large as of Sunday, McKneely said.
Resident burned, dogs die in condo fire
The resident of a condominium suffered burns and two pet dogs died in a Jefferson Highway fire just past midnight Sunday.
The fire at Pine Shadows Condominiums, 9338 Jefferson Highway, which is near the Bluebonnet Boulevard intersection, was limited to one unit, St. George Fire Department spokesman Eldon Ledoux said.
The resident’s burns were “not described as life-threatening” Ledoux said in a news release. Emergency Medical Services treated the burn victim and took the person to a hospital.
The two dogs died despite attempts to revive them, Ledoux said.
The fire, which started about 12:15 a.m. Sunday, and smoke caused major damage to the condominium.
East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies closed two southbound lanes of Jefferson Highway so emergency units could get to the fire and firefighters could get to a fire hydrant.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, Ledoux said.
Authorities arrest 10 suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Georgetta Augillard, 21, 6515 Hanks Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, failure to maintain control, reckless operation and disobeying a red light.
- Clifford Batson, 57, 11444 Robin Hood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, failure to yield on left turn and reckless operation.
- Erica Brown, 21, 2620 Jefferson Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Shelley Carter, 44, 36135 Reinninger Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and failure to maintain control.
- Jessica Dedon, 28, 34220 Walker Road North, Walker, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Kendrick Henderson, 28, 701 Camelia Avenue, LaPlace, first-offense DWI, improper lane use, possession of a firearm with drugs, possession of marijuana and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Joey Jernigan, 31, 16461 Stewart Road, Prairieville, second-offense DWI, reckless operation of vehicle and failure to maintain control.
- Allen Parsons, 34, 9064 Gail Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, obstruction of a public highway and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- Yolanda Roberson, 39, 9967 Sunny Cline, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, hit and run and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Thomas Sims, 28, 706 Rutledge Ave., Charleston, South Carolina, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.