Fire damaged the area around a fireplace in the covered deck of a home early Sunday, but caused no injuries, the St. George Fire Protection District said.

The fire also burned some of the deck’s flooring and a small area of the attic, spokesman Eldon Ledoux said Sunday in a press release.

The fire started about 1:30 a.m. in the 10400 block of Spring Tree Avenue, the release says.

When firefighters arrived, they found the fire burning in the rear corner of the deck area. Flames had penetrated the fireplace enclosure, built into the corner of the covered deck.

Firefighters doused the fire, then investigated to make sure it had not penetrated the living areas or spread into the attic, Ledoux’s release says.

The cause of the fire is listed as accidental, the release shows.