Cause of north BR house fire unknown
Firefighters are unsure of the cause of a fire Sunday afternoon at what was thought to be an abandoned house on 2738 Curtis St., Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in a news release.
Neighbors told firefighters that a man occasionally visited the house, but they weren’t sure if he lived there, Monte said.
The house did not have electricity, but it was connected to natural gas, Monte said.
Firefighters arrived at the scene at 12:16 p.m. and found the house engulfed in flames, Monte said. The fire was under control by 12:43 p.m.
The house is considered a loss, Monte said.
A house next door was damaged by heat from the fire, Monte said.
Authorities book 10 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a man on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Shane Carter, 40, 11347 Brunswick Ave., first-offense DWI, seat belt violation, hit and run, and failure to maintain control.
• Rodriguez Gaither, 29, 15265 Canal St., Rosedale, second-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Omar Garcia, 24, 1992 B. Todd Cove, Biloxi, Miss., first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• John Hightower, 38, 8040 Sevenoaks Ave., third-offense DWI, obstruction of a public passage, driver’s license suspended or revoked and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Latosha Johnson, 30, 637 E. Polk St., first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
• Michael Lane, 25, 110 North Oak St., Vidalia, first-offense DWI, improper turn and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• John Laplace, 32, 1550 St. Francis Lane, St. Gabriel, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and drinking in a motor vehicle.
• Shane Lebreton, 20, 14058 S. Lakeshore, Covington, first-offense DWI and improper turn.
• James Magee, 39, 5958 Cadillac St., fourth-offense DWI, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license required.
• Michael Williams, 59, 12523 Britian Ave., first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.