Man accused of ‘attempting to infect’
Sheriff’s deputies Friday night arrested a 36-year-old man accused of attempting to infect a deputy with AIDS or the HIV virus by spitting on him and advising the deputy to “die slow,” an affidavit of probable cause says.
Deputies booked Melvin Scott Brumfield, 1658 Starboard Drive, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of intentional exposure to AIDS virus, interfering with a law enforcement investigation, disturbing the peace/intoxication and resisting an officer, prison records show.
While in transit on disturbing the peace, Brumfield allegedly spat twice through the cage bars, hitting one of the deputies in an eye twice, the affidavit says.
McDonald’s robbery suspect arrested
Baton Rouge police arrested a 29-year-old man Friday accused of trying to rob a McDonald’s restaurant at 10:27 p.m. Thursday, an affidavit of probable cause says.
Police booked Dustin Givens, 2327 71st St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on one count of armed robbery, prison records show.
Givens allegedly walked into the 355 W. Lee Drive restaurant wearing a mask and carrying brown paper bag shaped like a handgun and demanded money from the safe, the affidavit says.
Zachary man booked in assault incident
Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 26-year-old Zachary man Friday after he allegedly told his grandmother he would kill her and he knew “how to do it from jail,” an affidavit of probable cause says.
The man made the threat while she protested his theft of food and items from her house Tuesday afternoon, the affidavit says.
Deputies arrested Jared Neal Johnson, 10540 Greenwell Springs Road, and booked him into Parish Prison on counts of simple assault, theft, driver’s license suspended/revoked and a fugitive warrant from Baker police, prison records show.
Police arrest suspect fleeing custody
A man arrested by Zachary police on outstanding warrants, including armed robbery, escaped from custody Saturday morning, but was arrested several hours later in a traffic stop, an affidavit of probable cause says.
Police booked Nathan Decolby Cannon, 19, 8300 Pin Oak Drive, Zachary, into Parish Prison on two counts of resisting an officer and one count each of armed robbery, simple escape and a seat belt violation, prison records and the affidavit show.
2 men arrested after pursuit by police
Working on a tip about possible marijuana trafficking, Baton Rouge police Friday morning arrested two men who led them on a short chase, including one who had an outstanding warrant on cruelty to juveniles, separate affidavits of probable cause say.
Police booked Marlone Black, 36, 11428 Kingston Drive, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of obstruction of justice, resisting an officer and cruelty to juveniles.
Police also booked Clarence Jackson, 34, 501 New Rafey Mayer Road, Baton Rouge, on counts of distribution/manufacturing of Schedule I drugs, obstruction of justice and resisting an officer, prison records show.
Authorities suspect kitchen origin of fire
Firefighters believe a fire that damaged at St. Croix Avenue house Saturday began in the kitchen accidentally, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.
Firefighters from the St. George and Baton Rouge fire departments arrived at 1781 St. Croix Ave. at 5:27 p.m. and found flames in the kitchen and dining area, Eldon Ledoux said in a news release. The fire was brought under control at 5:45 p.m.
The fire did moderate damage to the kitchen, dining area and living room, Ledoux said. The rest of the home had smoke damage.
No one was injured, and no one was home when the fire began, Ledoux said.
10 arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated — including a man arrested on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Elliott Ater, 23, 693 La. 569, Ferriday, first-offense DWI and driving left of center.
- Zac Comeaux, 24, 13616 Mary Edith Place, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, license plate required, failure to maintain control, insurance required, motor vehicle inspection required and reckless operation.
- Steven Hitt, 23, 2167 Colendale Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Jarrell Joseph, 20, 11498 Oak Bend Ave., Gonzales, first-offense DWI and possession of alcoholic beverage in vehicle.
- Janice Koehn, 43, 1127 Brookhollow Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Christopher Lowery, 24, 9053 Briarwood Place, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and headlights required.
- Leroy Rogers, 56, 3116 Adams Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- Tommy Rothman, 53, 2011 Aspenwood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Melvin Templet, 53, 15959 Tiger Bend Road, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Carlton Tucker, 39, 4847 Bradley St., Baton Rouge, fourth-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle, license plate required, failure to maintain control, hit-and-run and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.