A 17-year-old Baker man told police he arrived at a suburban home at 4334 Heath Drive merely to sell a marijuana cigar late Thursday night, but before he could enter the house, he got into a standoff at gunpoint with his ex-girlfriend.

The two drew handguns and shouted at each other with their weapons aimed, then the man opened fire, hitting the 19-year-old woman several times in the torso, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

Laquincia Wilkerson, of 4415 Heath Drive, was pronounced dead at the scene, Baker Police Chief Mike Knaps said. Police determined that Charmaine C. Wilson acted in self-defense and did not book him in the slaying, though he was booked on drug offenses.

Wilson told police that someone called him to the Heath Drive home to buy a marijuana cigar from him. But when he got there, Wilkerson, who was sitting on the porch, started shouting and cursing at him over a past dispute, the affidavit says.

Then, Wilson claimed, she pulled a revolver out of her waistband and threatened to shoot him.

Wilson told police he begged her to put the gun away, but instead she pulled the revolver’s hammer back several times and continued shouting, the affidavit says.

Wilson pulled a semi-automatic handgun from his pants pocket and aimed it at Wilkerson while continuing to plead with her to put down her gun, the affidavit says.

But when she again pulled back the hammer on the gun and pointed it at his face, he told police, he opened fire.

Neighbors Robin and Vernitta Clark were pulling into their driveway sometime after 10 p.m. when they heard a woman’s voice arguing across the street, followed by gunfire.

“It happened so fast. You could just hear her voice and then you hear ‘Pop! Pop! Pop!’” Vernitta Clark said Friday.

When Robin Clark looked across Heath Drive, he said, he saw the body of a woman lying in the yard. Bullets had also struck a nearby house and car.

Police later found the revolver and a box-cutter near the woman’s body, the affidavit says.

Wilson, who initially told police he had nothing to do with the shooting, later admitted he ran from the home and hid the gun along with a bag of marijuana and a digital scale in a nearby home’s tool shed, the affidavit says.

Clark said he saw two figures running away, but Knaps said police don’t currently suspect anyone else in the shooting.

Wilson later led detectives to the tool shed where the items were hidden, the affidavit says.

Police decided Wilson had acted in self-defense after interviewing other witnesses who confirmed details of the standoff, the affidavit says. But Wilson, of 4303 Greenwood Lane, was booked Friday morning into Parish Prison on counts of possession with intent to distribute a Schedule I drug, possession of drug paraphernalia, illegal possession of a firearm with a controlled and dangerous substance and aggravated criminal damage to property.

At the home where the shooting took place, a scrap of police tape hung off a garbage can Friday morning, but no one answered the door.

The shooting came as a shock to the Clarks.

Robin Clark said Heath Street is the kind of place where neighbors share meals and leave their doors unlocked.

“Nothing like this has ever happened,” Vernitta Clark said.