A Baton Rouge man was reindicted Thursday on a second-degree murder charge in a 2013 stabbing death after prosecutors dismissed the case when eyewitnesses did not show up for the start of trial on Monday.
Corey Moore, now 46, was initially indicted in January 2014 in the stabbing death of a 57-year-old man on Sept. 14, 2013 during a fight inside the victim’s Edwin Street duplex.
An East Baton Rouge Parish grand jury charged Corey Moore, 44, on second-degree murder in the killing of Cedric Hampton Sr.
Corey Moore had been released from jail after this week’s dismissal, which came about after state District Judge Don Johnson would not grant a continuance to prosecutors because the witnesses did not appear, according to court documents.
Corey Moore’s attorney, Rodney Messina, questioned whether the witnesses were subpoenaed in the first place, though.
“The question is whether or not (the witnesses) were told to be there,” Messina said Friday, noting that online court records do not indicate the two eyewitnesses were asked to come to court. “I don’t know.”
East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar C. Moore III said the witnesses could not be served because authorities could not find them, so the District Attorney’s Office filed motions to arrest them and bring them to trial, which was supposed to begin Monday.
Hillar Moore said witnesses arrested under similar circumstances are normally held until trial begins.
Messina said Corey Moore will have to be arraigned again, but they will go straight into the trial.
Audrey Hampton, the victim’s mother, said detectives told her Hampton was stabbed when he tried to diffuse an argument between Corey Moore, who was armed with a knife, and a woman.
Corey Moore was on supervised parole for attempted armed robbery and simple burglary convictions at the time of the incident, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Corey Moore would face a mandatory sentence of life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder.
Follow Danielle Maddox Kinchen on Twitter, @Dani_Maddox4.