A 16-year-old eighth-grader at Westdale Middle School was arrested Thursday and accused of bringing a loaded handgun to school, an East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman said.
Sheriff’s deputies found the gun in the student’s book sack about 8:40 a.m. after someone told school authorities about the weapon, Casey Rayborn Hicks said.
The student will be booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Detention Center on a count of carrying a firearm by a student on school property, Hicks said.
People with information about Thursday’s incident or similar incidents are encouraged to contact the Sheriff’s Office at (225) 389-5000 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Man says he was assaulted at LSU
LSU Police are asking for help in finding the person who hit someone near Peabody Hall late Monday, a university news release says.
The victim told officers he was walking on the south side of Peabody Hall — which is near the Indian Mounds, behind Middleton Library — at 11:40 p.m. when someone struck him in the face and ran away, the release says.
The victim was unable to provide a description of the attacker, the release says.
Anyone with information in reference to the incident is urged to contact LSU Police investigators at (225) 578-3231 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
People also can contact the LSU Police Department on the police department’s website: www.lsu.edu/police.
8 booked with DWI at EBR Parish Prison
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Heather Adams, 23, 4284 Oxford Ave., second-offense DWI, disobeying a traffic control device, reckless operation of a vehicle and insurance required.
• Anne Ayo, 26, 40124 La. 621, Gonzales, second-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
• Bryan Byrd, 35, 9320 Samoa Ave., first-offense DWI, failure to change driver’s license address and failure to obey a stop sign or yield sign.
• Jason Franklin, 22, 4739 Packard St., first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession and following too close.
• Simone Laprairie, 18, 17643 Eaglewood Drive, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
• Derek Raby, 19, 5304 Myrtle St., Baker, first-offense DWI and license plate required.
• Brittany Ricks, 23, 5839 Crimson Glory Drive, St. Francisville, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, unnecessary noise from a vehicle and obstruction of a highway.
• Darian Thomas, 36, 1336 Sunshine Road, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.