An electrical malfunction caused a house fire Saturday morning at a house on Monmouth Avenue, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman said.

Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the roof of the residence at 5510 Monmouth and alerted the sleeping family inside, Barry Mounce said in a news release.

Firefighters arrived at 9:22 a.m. and had the blaze under control by 9:52 a.m., Mounce said.

The fire started in the attic and was contained to that area, but the living area of the home was damaged by smoke and water, Mounce said.

No one was injured, Mounce said.