A Central firefighter became trapped when an overhang roof collapsed while crews were working a house fire Monday afternoon. But civilians on scene helped rescue him, according to a Facebook post from the Central Fire Department.

Crews were dispatched around 2:40 p.m. to the 12100 block of Lancewood Drive for a building on fire behind a home. They found the large building was totally involved in fire and the home was being threatened while the homeowner was suffering medical issues, according to the post.

One firefighter became trapped when an overhang roof fell on him. That's when civilians "jumped into action and assisted firefighters in safely removing the captain," the post says. He was checked by Emergency Medical Services and returned to active duty.

The fire was controlled by about 3:40 p.m. with no injuries.

The shed that caught on fire contained an antique car and all-terrain vehicle along with propane bottles and an oxygen tank, according to a news release Monday night from the Central Fire Department. Several explosions occurred when those flammable substances ignited. 

Arson investigators from the Baton Rouge Fire Department were called out to complete the investigation, the release said.

Compiled from staff reports. To contact a crime reporter at The Advocate, email policereporters@theadvocate.com or call (225) 388-0369.