A family of four was displaced from its home after a fire sparked Wednesday night in a vacant apartment spread to a neighboring house just north of Florida Boulevard.
Baton Rouge firefighters responded to the 300 block of North 26th Street around 9 p.m. and found a fully-involved fire coming from the apartment located next to the family’s home, said Mark Miles, a Fire Department spokesman.
The blaze was under control within 20 minutes, Miles said, but the vacant apartment was destroyed. The house also was damaged by the fire, but it wasn’t destroyed.
Foul play was not suspected as a cause of the fire, Miles said, although the exact cause was not immediately determined.
The American Red Cross responded to the home to assist the displaced family, Miles said.