Combustibles left too close to a water heater touched off a fire outside an Elwick Drive home that caused significant damage to the home and two vehicles parked outside, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

The home’s resident noticed thick smoke underneath her carport at 2360 Elwick Drive at around 12:20 p.m. Sunday and called firefighters, said spokesman Curt Monte, the department’s spokesman, in a news release.

The fire, which started in an outside storage room, spread to the carport and home’s attic. Monte estimated the damage to the home at $100,000 with another $40,000 in damage to two vehicle parked in the carport.