Firefighters battled a blaze at a tire warehouse on Plank Road for about 12 hours Saturday night and into Sunday morning before extinguishing it, according to the Baker Fire Department.
After a passerby alerted firefighters to the blaze on Plank Road near Lavey Lane in Baker about 10:30 p.m., nine engines and two ladder trucks arrived to fight the flames, said Christopher Hunt, a Baker Fire Department district chief.
The trucks were from fire departments in Baker, Baton Rouge, Pride, Cheneyville, Brownsville and Central.
The flames proved difficult to extinguish — the warehouse was filled with tires for trucks and commercial vehicles along with three tire-changing trucks, two forklifts and an antique car, Hunt said. All were destroyed. The estimated damage is more than $1 million, Hunt said.
“Once the metal building collapsed on itself, there was no way to get water to the fire,” Hunt said.
Firefighters called for an excavator to tear openings in the building so they could get to the fire’s source.
Crews did manage to save the office space in the building, which held the business’ records and office equipment, Hunt said. No one was injured in the fire, and no other buildings were damaged — though three other buildings were only 30 feet from the fire.
The fire’s cause is still undetermined, Hunt said.
Six suspected of driving while intoxicated
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Jeremiah Allen, 25, 33180 Adams Drive, White Castle, first-offense DWI, careless operation and one-way street violation.
- Baltazar Contreras Gonzalez, 35, 6676 Titan, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of an alcoholic beverage in vehicle, reckless operation and driver’s license required.
- Danuel Gonzalez, 18, 2714 Red Lion Court, San Antonio, Texas, first-offense DWI, driver’s license expired and possession of marijuana.
- Marcus Jackson, 26, 6013 Cedar Pointe, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, equipment violation, reckless operation.
- Travis Tennart, 33, 12505 Turnley Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding, and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- Jacob Truax, 28, 5010 Mancuso Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane use and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.