An investigation into a threat against East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III and his office led to the recent drug arrest of nationally acclaimed Baton Rouge rapper Torrence “Lil Boosie” Hatch, authorities said.

“I can confirm that we received information relative to a credible threat against District Attorney Hillar Moore and the District Attorney’s Office,” State Police spokesman Lt. Doug Cain said.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Violent Crime Unit initiated an investigation into the threat, Cain said, and “as a precaution, security was provided to the district attorney and his office.”

Investigators were unable to substantiate the threat, Cain said. The case, however, is still open, he said.

Moore had no comment and Cain would not say who allegedly made the threat or when State Police received information about it.

Cain did say the investigation into the threat led to the May 26 arrest of Hatch, who is accused of trying to smuggle codeine syrup into the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola.

Hatch has been in prison since he pleaded guilty in 2009 to a third-offense marijuana possession charge.

Hatch also is facing a first-degree murder charge. A grand jury indicted Hatch last year in the Oct. 21 slaying of 35-year-old Terry Boyd, who was shot through a window while inside his home at 16837 Vermillion Drive.

Hatch is due in state District Judge Mike Erwin’s courtroom June 22 on his motion to recuse the District Attorney’s Office from the murder case.

Attorney Jason Williams, who represents Hatch, is arguing that Moore has a “personal interest’’ in the case and should be disqualified from prosecuting Hatch. Moore has called the allegation “totally baseless.’’

Louisiana State Penitentiary Warden Burl Cain said Hatch has not been violent while incarcerated at Angola, but “gets into mischief.”

“He has a hard time following basic rules,” Cain said. “He’s getting better though.”

Some of Hatch’s mischievous behavior was aided by two Angola correctional officers, Cain said. Those officers resigned about three weeks ago after letting Hatch make more phone calls than he was allowed, the warden said.

The officers quit before disciplinary action was taken against them, Cain said.