Firefighters responding to reports of smoke at Texas De Brazil in Perkins Rowe _lowres

Advocate Staff photo by JOHN BALLANCE -- Cindy Carter, a resident of Perkins Rowe, talks to Cpl. Nick Tullier of the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriffs office about the reported fire at Texas De Brazil . Fire department spokesman Eldon Ledoux said the department received a call about a fire in the shopping area shortly before 5:30 p.m. Friday afternoon at Perkins Rowe, but investigators only discovered heightened temperatures in the restaurant’s kitchen air ducts and smoke coming from the restaurant. Ledoux said there were no injuries.

The St. George Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at a Perkins Rowe restaurant Friday after smoke prompted Texas De Brazil customers and staff to evacuate.

Fire department spokesman Eldon Ledoux said the department received a call about a fire in the shopping area shortly before 5:30 p.m. Friday afternoon at Perkins Rowe, but investigators only discovered heightened temperatures in the restaurant’s kitchen air ducts and smoke coming from the restaurant. Ledoux said there were no injuries.

Ledoux said the high temperatures were contained to the kitchen, but he said investigators had not found the origin of the incident.

Residents of Perkins Rowe received notification of the possible fire on their phones minutes after the fire department received the report, and the surrounding block of establishments and residential areas were evacuated.

Jeremy Hebert, who has lived at Perkins Rowe for the last six months, was one of many evacuated to the curb across the street.

Hebert said he saw smoke rising from the roof of Texas De Brazil but that he hadn’t seen any flames.