Baton Rouge police: Detective spots stolen Mustang, driver leads police on chase with speeds reaching 132 mph _lowres

Hollis Tate, 30

A Baton Rouge police stakeout Saturday of a stolen Ford Mustang taken from a dealer’s lot touched off a wild afternoon chase with speeds reaching more than 130 mph.

Hollis W. Tate, 30, sped away from police officers with his 7-year-old niece in the car around 3 p.m. Saturday after a detective spotted him driving the stolen sports car away from his aunt’s house, where the detective was keeping watch on the car, a Baton Rouge police report says.

When officers flipped on their lights and sirens to try to stop Tate on South Choctaw Drive, Tate instead slammed on the gas, racing down Choctaw and making his way to Florida Boulevard, the report says.

The pursuing officers hit speeds over 132 miles per hour while trying to keep up with Tate, the report says, as Tate ran stop lights and stop signs on Florida while speeding eastbound.

Tate eventually led Baton Rouge officers into Denham Springs, where he ditched the Mustang and hid the keys in a flower pot before trying to escape on foot, the report says.

A witness showed police where the keys were hidden, the report says.

Denham Springs police officers helped locate Tate and his niece on River Road in Denham Springs later that day, said Sgt. Don Coppola Jr., a Baton Rouge police spokesman.

Tate’s 7-year-old niece told officers that Tate, whom she referred to as her “Uncle Boosie,” was the driver of the Mustang during the high-speed pursuit and confirmed she was in the car, the report says. Tate also admitted to driving the car during the pursuit but then asked for an attorney.

A Baton Rouge detective noted in the report that the front of the Mustang was damaged during the pursuit. The detective also noted that Tate “did not have any intentions of returning the vehicle to the dealership.”

The 2015 Ford Mustang was reported stolen off the Hollingsworth Richards Ford dealership on Florida Boulevard on Feb. 8, the report says, and the dealership’s manager provided police with surveillance video showing the car being stolen.

Numerous Crime Stoppers’ tips identified Tate as the man stealing the car, the report says, which led to Saturday’s stakeout.

Police officers booked Tate, of 8227 Skysail Ave., into Parish Prison on counts of theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated flight from officers, contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, criminal damage to property, two counts of running a stop light, two counts of running a red light and reckless operation.

He remained in jail Sunday evening in lieu of $70,000 bail, according to Parish Prison records.