Two residents of 1059 N. 49th Street were on their porch after 8 p.m. Monday when they smelled smoke.

The rear of their home, where a dryer was in use, had caught fire.

Baton Rouge firefighters, who were called at 8:17 p.m., began arriving on the scene at 8:21 p.m., deploying four pumper trucks, one ladder truck and two support vehicles and getting the blaze under control by 8:38 p.m., said Curt Monte, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman.

The fire was contained to the rear of the home, but smoke and heat damage spread to the rest of the house, requiring a call to Red Cross to assist the residents, Monte said. Damage is estimated at $25,000, half the value of the $50,000 structure. No estimate was given for contents damage.

The exact cause of the fire is still being determined, but firefighters believe it started in or around the dryer, he said.