A Baton Rouge man is accused of abandoning a home improvement project that he had already paid for after completing less than half of the work, according to a Baton Rouge police report.

A homeowner told officers that he hired 46-year-old Donovan Cleveland to complete work on his home and wrote him three checks totaling $59,000 between February and March, according to the report.

After completing about $18,000 in work, Cleveland started returning to work sporadically, according to the report. The homeowner confronted him June 7, and since that meeting, Cleveland never returned to work or contacted the resident, police said.

The homeowner has also discovered that liens have been placed on his property by subcontractors who had not been paid for their work by Cleveland, the report said.

Police determined that Cleveland stole approximately $33,374 in the incident, according to the report.

Cleveland, of 13361 Briar Hollow Ave., Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on home improvement fraud over $500 and theft of $25,000.

Compiled from staff reports. To contact a crime reporter at The Advocate email PoliceReporters@theadvocate.com or call (225) 388-0369.