An electric short started a bathroom fire Tuesday evening in an apartment on North Harrell's Ferry Road, leaving 12 people displaced while their electricity was shut off as a precaution, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department. 

The fire was contained in the unit where it started, spreading only to the attic above the bathroom, said BRFD spokesman Curt Monte. Firefighters responded to the 7-unit building about 7 p.m., Monte said. 

The manager shut off the entire building's electricity as a safety precaution, Monte said, displacing the 12 residents. The American Red Cross was called in to assist them. 

No one was injured in the fire.