Man accused of exposing woman to HIV
Baton Rouge police late Thursday arrested an HIV-posititive man accused of possessing marijuana and of intentionally exposing a woman to the virus that causes AIDS.
An officer on patrol arrested Vience Phagans, 39, after finding him in possession of marijuana outside the Elm Grove Garden Motel, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
The suspect took the officer to his room where the officer met a woman who said she and Phagans had recently had sex, the affidavit says.
A detective who arrived to assist in the investigation recognized Phagans from previous investigations and knew he was HIV-positive, the affidavit says.
Phagans admitted he was HIV positive, but it turned out he had failed to tell that to the woman he was with before they had sex. The woman insisted police arrest Phagans for not telling her he was HIV- positive, the affidavit says.
Phagans, 4052 Fairfield Ave., Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of intentional exposure to the AIDS virus and possession of marijuana.
Man booked on human trafficking charges
The FBI on Friday arrested a man indicted by an East Baton Rouge Parish grand jury on human trafficking charges.
Carlos Lampley, 42, 9952 Elliot Road, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on four charges of human trafficking.
According to the indictment, handed down two weeks ago, Lampley trafficked four women for prostitution and labor, including a 12-year-old and a 16-year-old, at different times from January 2008 to June 21, 2012.
Seven booked on suspicion of DWI in EBR
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Noah Childers, 21, 39483 Meadowbrook Ave., Prairieville, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, reckless operation of a vehicle, speeding and improper lane use.
- Adrian Hansley, 50, 3351 Amarillo St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, seat belt violation, drinking in a motor vehicle, stop sign/yield sign violation, reckless operation, driver’s license suspended/revoked and child restraints required.
- Victor Hernandez, 37, 12562 Robbie Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, driver’s license required, license plate required, improper lane usage and improperly displaying license plate.
- Ada Jones, 53, 1007 E. Johnson St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and illegal U-turn.
- Stanley Langfield, 27, 2622 Toulon Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to yield.
- Guillermo Rodriguez, 39, 16842 Scenic Gardens Drive, Spring, Texas, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, driver’s license not in possession and insurance required.
- Gregory Sanchez, 30, 23500 The Old Road, Newhall, California, second-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, improper lane use and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.