BR woman arrested in Medicaid fraud scheme
Authorities on Friday arrested a woman recently indicted by a grand jury on charges for her part in a Medicaid fraud scheme at a Zachary business.
St. Theresa Boulanger, 66, 2022 N. Lobdell, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on charges of racketeering and fraudulent remuneration.
Seven other people indicted have been arrested. Authorities are still looking for Shirley Horton, 77, 4210 La. 956, Ethel.
Boulanger was a Medicaid recipient and employee of Empowering Care Services LLC.
An audit done by the state Department of Health and Human Services revealed Empowering Care Services LLC, over a three-year period, fraudulently billed Medicaid for services never rendered by caregivers.
BR man accused of robbing victim
A 35-year-old man accused of robbing a man at gunpoint on June 2, has been arrested. The man allegedly took nearly $750 from a victim who was going to lend him $20, .
Sheriff’s deputies booked Larry Kelly, 16510 Charleston Road, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on Friday on counts of armed robbery and a fugitive warrant.
Kelly had called the victim, asking to borrow $20 and the victim went to Kelly’s apartment to give him the money, the arrest warrant says. But the victim stopped on the way at an ATM to withdraw more than $700 for rent, the warrant says.
When the victim pulled the cash from his pocket, Kelly drew a gun and told the victim to give him all of the money he had, the warrant says. Kelly took the money, then threw the victim out of the apartment.
BR firefighters thwart arson attempt at home
Baton Rouge firefighters arriving at a house fire on Billops Street early Saturday found four spots around the home where an amateur arsonist tried to start a fire before one eventually caught and began spreading.
But the firefighters arrived soon enough that they extinguished the flames before any real damage was done, said Mark Miles, a spokesman for fire department. They arrived at the home at 3938 Billops St., at 6:03 a.m. and the fire was out less than a minute later, Miles said.
Miles said the firefighters could tell where the would-be-arsonist tried to set the house on fire. They could smell an accelerant in four parts of the home.
One person was in the home, but not injured, Miles said. Anyone with information is asked to contact fire investigators at (225) 354-1419 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Authorities book 14 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 14 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Haleigh Achee, 27, 44327 Pitre Lane, St. Tammany, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Pablo Andrade, 21, 3267 Prescott Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and hit-and-run.
- Daniel Breland, 24, 1062 Denbo Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Christopher Brewer, 33, 2435 Weldwood Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked and speeding.
- John Cenerazzo, 33, 12901 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Jonathan Corder, 33, 9014 Eastover St., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, felon in possession of a firearm, possession of marijuana and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Taylor Dorsey, 22, 6741 Vineyard Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and reckless operation.
- Derek Dunkin, 33, 229 W. Loyola Drive, Kenner, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Joseph Hammett, 20, 7129 Woodstock Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Jennifer Motlow, 38, 4900 Claycut Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, negligent vehicle injuring, careless operation and reckless operation.
- April Parker, 24, 2107 Connie Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, stopping vehicle in the roadway, driving over the median and speeding.
- Jordy Snearl, 28, 1534 Court St., Port Allen, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked and reckless operation.
- Gregory Surette, 30, 320 S. 22nd St., New York, New York, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Alvin A. Temple, 39, 7878 LaSalle Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.