About 4,000 students will graduate from LSU this week.
Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus will deliver the keynote address at the main commencement ceremony, which is scheduled to begin with an academic processession at 6:45 p.m. Thursday at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.
“(Mabus) brings a wealth of leadership knowledge and experience that will be beneficial for our graduating class to hear, and we look forward to his talk and the advice he gives to our students,” LSU President and Chancellor F. King Alexander said in a news release.
Events during the Thursday ceremony, which is open to the public, will include individual presentation of diplomas to doctoral candidates, the conferring of degrees for all students and the recognition of University Medalists.
Diploma ceremonies, at which each graduate’s name will be called and diplomas handed out individually, will be held Friday for each college. Those ceremonies may require tickets for admission; students or the respective colleges can provide more information on ticketing, per the university news release.
Several of Friday’s diploma ceremonies will have keynote speakers. They include:
• University of Nevada--Reno Provost Kevin Carman, who is the former dean of the LSU College of Science, at the College of Science ceremony at 9 a.m. in the Maddox Fieldhouse.
• Robert Reich School of Landscape Architecture professor emeritus Suzanne Turner at the College of Art & Design ceremony at 10 a.m. in the Student Union Theater.
• Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge President and CEO Eric Holowacz at the College of Music & Dramatic Arts ceremony at noon in the Bo Campbell Auditorium of the Cox Communications Academic Center for Student-Athletes.
• Pennington Biomedical Research Center Executive Director Dr. William Cefalu at the College of Agriculture ceremony at 12:30 p.m. in the Maddox Fieldhouse.
• Retired Director and Executive Vice President of ExxonMobil Harry Longwell, a 1963 LSU petroleum engineering graduate, at the College of Engineering ceremony at 12:30 p.m. in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.
• TV personality and entrepreneur Rene Syler at the Manship School of Mass Communication ceremony at 1:30 p.m. in the Student Union Theater.
• Kinesiology graduate Kaitlyn Salzer at the College of Human Sciences & Education ceremony at 4 p.m. in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.
More information can be found on LSU’s commencement website at www.lsu.edu/commencement.
Follow Elizabeth Crisp on Twitter @elizabethcrisp.