Today in The Rundown: Louisiana looks to expand hate crimes protections for police and firefighters; Lawmakers recognize “Pro-Life Day” with anti-abortion bills; TOPS and medical marijuana bills move ahead; and more.
Days until the 2016 regular Louisiana legislative session ends: 46
Hate crimes: Inspired by “Blue Lives Matter” movement, bill advancing through the House would include police, firefighters as protected class in state hate crime laws. http://bit.ly/1WGK4Rj
Abortion: A state House panel advanced several anti-abortion rights bills on Wednesday, which the chamber dubbed “Pro-Life Day.” http://bit.ly/1ScoEtd
TOPS: Legislation to alter the popular state scholarship program keeps moving through the Capitol. http://bit.ly/1SU2msj
‘Ban the Box': A bill intended to give ex-convicts second chance at employment is advancing in the House. http://bit.ly/1ScoBh3
Sex ed: A controversial sex survey bill for Louisiana high school students has cleared its first legislative hurdle. http://bit.ly/23KMjZ0
Medical Marijuana: After failing to pass muster by just one vote, the bill to expand conditions that can be treated with medical marijuana made it through the Senate (coincidentally, on 4/20). http://bit.ly/1YI5rQB
Helmets: After Gov. Edwards threatened to veto, the House rejected a bill that would make helmets optional for most motorcycle riders. http://bit.ly/1YI5o7o
NOLA: The Louisiana Senate has advanced legislation that would return New Orleans schools to local control. http://bit.ly/26g3GQr
Water quality: The Louisiana Legislature is considering a bill that would give the state more authority to take over the troubled St. Joseph water system. http://bit.ly/242NGPJ
See all of our coverage of the Louisiana Legislature: http://bit.ly/AdvLALege
Today at the Capitol
House convenes at 1 p.m., and the Senate comes in at 9 a.m.
- Judiciary meets at 9 a.m. in Room 1.
- Municipal, Parochial and Cultural Affairs meets at 9 a.m. in Room 6.
- Retirement meets at 9 a.m. in Room 4.
- Education meets upon adjournment in John J. Hainkel, Jr. Room.
- Natural Resources meets upon adjournment in Room A-B.
- Transportation, Highways and Public Works meets upon adjournment in Room E.
- State Bond Commission meets at 8:00 am Room A-B.
- 12:15 p.m. National Bond Summit at Astor Crowne Plaza in New Orleans.
- 3 p.m. Press Conference at Louisiana Workforce Commission Business and Career Solutions Center in Hammond.