Today in The Rundown: A busy day at the Capitol with updates on the state budget coming (surprisingly positive!); Cassidy continues Obamacare fight, despite high-profile pushback; Gov. Edwards responds to recent Baton Rouge tragedies; and everything else you need to know in Louisiana politics today.
Days until the Louisiana treasurer's election: 22
Days until the runoff in the treasurer's race, if needed: 57
Days until the 2018 regular legislative session begins: 171
Obamacare: Jimmy Kimmel and Bill Cassidy are in a fight over Cassidy's plan for replacing the federal health care law. Here's what's behind the feud: http://bit.ly/2jLcG12
Cassidy-Graham: State leaders say they have concerns about Cassidy's health care proposal: http://bit.ly/2f7SLEh
LA Lege: Former state Sen. Elbert Guillory has been disciplined by the Louisiana Supreme Court http://bit.ly/2jLNSFZ
LA Gov: Gov. John Bel Edwards reflected on recent tragedies in Baton Rouge during monthly radio show: http://bit.ly/2jOfQ4a
Water woes: A new report on the groundwater commission and Baton Rouge's aquifer is coming: http://bit.ly/2jLVuZh
State budget: Louisiana has a rare $100M surplus: http://bit.ly/2jMKQS5
LSU: Here's what LSU's restrictions on Greek activities following a fraternity pledge's death mean in practice -- and the legal issues raised: http://bit.ly/2jM0LzS
Water Campus: A look inside the Water Campus -- seen as valuable research tool for coastal erosion: http://bit.ly/2jMLrTP
RGA: The Republican Governors Association has launched a new 'news' site that critics call propaganda. So far, mentions of Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards have been limited, but he could soon be in the group's cross hairs: http://bit.ly/2jOns6L
Happening this week
- Gaming Control Board meets at 10 a.m. in Capitol Room 1.
- State Bond Commission meets at 10 a.m. in Capitol Room A-B.
- Joint Insurance and Senate Select Committee on Coastal Restoration and Flood Control meets at 11 a.m. in Capitol Room 5.
- Cash Management Review Board meets upon adjournment of Revenue Estimating Conference in Capitol Room 4.
- Revenue Estimating Conference meets upon adjournment of Bond Commission in Capitol Room 6.
- The Louisiana Family Forum's 2017 Legislative Awards Gala is at 6 p.m. at The Church in Baton Rouge. (Ticket info)
- Gov. John Bel Edwards and first lady Donna Edwards launch the No Kid Hungry Louisiana Launch at 8 a.m. at Wildwood Elementary Baton Rouge.
- Appropriations meets Friday at 9 a.m. in Capitol Room 6.
- Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget meets Friday at 9:30 a.m. in Capitol Room 5.
- Restore Louisiana Task Force meets Friday at 9:30 a.m. in Capitol Abbeville, LA.
- Dedicated Fund Review Subcommittee of Joint Budget meets Friday upon adjournment of Joint Budget in Capitol Room 6.
Senator (Doctor) Bill Cassidy is a class act who really cares about people and their Health(care), he doesn't lie-just wants to help people!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 21, 2017