Today in The Rundown: Capitol is evacuated for bomb threat; lawmakers still looking to avoid special session; Two House members prepare to step down; and more.
Days until the 2016 regular Louisiana legislative session ends: 20
The NewsState Capitol: The Louisiana Capitol was evacuated for a bomb threat late Monday evening. http://bit.ly/1ZZZFKR
Budget crunch: Lawmakers remain wary of a second special session. http://bit.ly/1WC3MOP
LA Lege: Two members of the state House from Jefferson Parish are preparing to resign. http://bit.ly/1OyU9Oz
Taxes: An obscure sales tax issue threatens to cost financially strapped state tens of millions, thanks to a recent court ruling. http://bit.ly/1OyUn8n
Real ID: A House committee has OK’d a Real ID bill that has already passed the Senate, there is one more hurdle before heading to the governor. http://bit.ly/1TWGks5
Lt Gov: Former Lt. Gov. Bobby Freeman has passed away. http://bit.ly/1VYKrrj
Inspector General: IG Stephen Street talked to the BR Press Club about why his office should be saved in the budget. http://bit.ly/1V714jj
Medical Marijuana: A bill to expand medical marijuana in Louisiana is heading to Gov. John Bel Edwards’ desk. http://bit.ly/22eovbJ
GOP 2016: The Louisiana Democratic Party has a new anti-Donald Trump ad featuring Bobby Jindal. http://bit.ly/1WB2c0k
LA Sen: Gov. Edwards will host a fundraiser for Democrat Foster Campbell later this month in the U.S. Senate race. http://bit.ly/1OwDoy9
Abortion: After a series of controversial viral sting videos last summer that claimed Planned Parenthood was selling aborted fetus organs, Louisiana lawmakers have passed a measure that would outlaw and money exchanges for aborted fetus body parts. http://bit.ly/1V71hTK
See all of our coverage of the Louisiana Legislature: http://bit.ly/AdvLALege
Today at the Capitol
House convenes at 2 p.m. and Senate comes in at 3 p.m.
- Education meets at 9 a.m. in Room 1.
- Health and Welfare meets at 9 a.m. in Room 5.
- Judiciary A meets at 9 a.m. in John J. Hainkel, Jr. Room.
- Judiciary B meets at 9 a.m. in Room E.
- Judiciary C meets at 9:30 a.m. in Room F.
- Insurance meets at 11 a.m. in Room C.
- Senate and Governmental Affairs meets at 11 a.m. in Room F.
- Commerce, Consumer Protection and International Affairs meets at 11:30 a.m. in Room E.
- Health and Welfare meets at noon in John J. Hainkel, Jr. Room.
- Noon: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Day Luncheon at Boudreaux’s (closed press).
- 2:45 p.m. CGI Onshore IT Services Center of Excellence Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on University of Louisiana at Lafayette (open press).