Today in The Rundown: Resolution calls for restoration of trade with Cuba; Rep. Bryan Adams talks his decision to leave the Legislature; Bills on sanctuary cities and abortion get delayed a week; nursing home bill stalls amid intense pressure from the industry; and more.
Days until the 2016 regular Louisiana legislative session ends: 19
Nursing homes: A bill intended to shift state-funded health care for the elderly from nursing homes to at-home care stalled in a Louisiana House committee on Tuesday. http://bit.ly/1rSYj9M
Cuba: A proposed resolution would direct Louisiana Economic Development leaders to develop trade relations with Cuba. http://bit.ly/1rSYy4M
Legislative departures: A second House member from Jefferson Parish, Rep. Bryan Adams, explains why he’ll be resigning in the next couple of months. http://bit.ly/1rSYjqp
Sanctuary cities: Legislation to punish cities that have policies friendly to undocumented workers has been temporarily stalled. http://bit.ly/1WCWI4F
Abortion: A Senate committee delayed approval of a bill that would ban doctors from performing abortions due to fetuses’ genetic abnormalities. http://bit.ly/1sodZ4U
Schools: The bill to require cursive writing be taught in Louisiana continues to advance. http://bit.ly/1rSYF04
Charter schools: Reversing its earlier stance, a Louisiana House committee endorsed a bill Tuesday backed by Gov. John Bel Edwards to eliminate one way charter schools can be launched. http://bit.ly/1rSYrpY
See all of our coverage of the Louisiana Legislature: http://bit.ly/AdvLALege
Today at the Capitol
House convenes at 2 p.m. and Senate comes in at 3 p.m.
- Education meets at 9 a.m. in Room 1.
- Administration of Criminal Justice meets at 9:30 a.m. in Room 6.
- Natural Resources and Environment meets at 9:30 a.m. in Room 4.
- House and Governmental Affairs meets at 10 a.m. in Room 2.
- Senate and Governmental Affairs meets at 8 a.m. in Room F.
- Education meets at 9 a.m. in John J. Hainkel, Jr. Room.
- Local and Municipal Affairs meets at 10:30 a.m. in Room F.
- Transportation, Highways and Public Works meets at 11 a.m. in Room E.
- Natural Resources meets at noon in Room C.
- Finance meets Upon Adjournment in Room A-B.
- The second episode of Gov. Edwards live call-in radio show will air at 2 p.m.