Louisiana has distributed $122 million in recovery assistance to more than 4,200 homeowners affected by last year's historic floods, according to the latest tallies from the state released Wednesday
But Gov. John Bel Edwards' administration says thousands more have qualified for funding and it is encouraging others affected by last year's historic floods to apply for recovery assistance that the state has received from the federal government.
“Completing the application is crucial. It’s how we confirm that homeowners are eligible for the Restore Louisiana program and how we determine the award amount,” Pat Forbes, head of the state Office of Community Development, said in a news release Wednesday. “We can’t help homeowners unless they submit their application.”
The state has received $1.7 billion from Congress to aid recovery from the floods that affected thousands of families. The bulk of the money, about $1.3 billion, has been designated to go toward homeowner rebuilding assistance.
Through the Restore Louisiana program, homeowners can receive reimbursements for work already completed on their houses or go through the program to begin work with a contractor.
More than 46,300 homeowners have taken the initial survey, which is the required first step in the process.
The state will hold a series of outreach meetings across the state next month to encourage flood-affected homeowners to apply.
People can apply online at restore.la.gov or by phone at (866) 735-2001. Phone applications can be submitted Monday through Friday.