Lillie Gumm is about two weeks away from moving back into her house that took on three feet of water during last year's historic floods.

"The water started coming in from all sides," she said as she walked through her mostly renovated home on Monday, surveying work that has been done over the past three weeks to replace cabinets, drywall, appliances. "Everything was ruined."

Gumm, 63 and a retired truck driver, is one of the first homeowners to rebuild through the state's Restore Louisiana Housing Assistance Program, which is funded through about $1.3 billion in aid from the federal government.

The state has been trying to encourage more people to take an initial flood survey – available at restore.la.gov or by calling 1-866-735-2001 – to see if they also qualify. Gumm said she signed up on the first day that the survey opened the program.

To date, about 36,500 surveys have been completed, but state leaders say that it remains thousands fewer than they say could use the aid.

Gov. John Bel Edwards on Monday toured Gumm's Baton Rouge Forest Park area home with her to see the progress and highlight the type of work that is available to flood victims as the program begins to ramp up.

"Certainly, it's been a little harder than I've wanted it to be," Edwards said.

In its initial phases, the homeowner rebuilding programs have been limited to those deemed the most in need – low income individuals who are elderly or have disabled residents.

The state is beginning to extend the program to all income levels in the most impacted parishes and has no priority for disability, with further rollout anticipated depending on need and available funds.

Follow Elizabeth Crisp on Twitter, @elizabethcrisp.