On this date in 1918, lightning struck British cavalry Maj. R. Sumerford while he was on patrol and he was thrown from his horse. Paralyzed on the left side of his body, he walked with canes. With three friends, Sumerford went on a mountain-lake fishing excursion. While other members of the group gathered supplies, he waited beneath a tree when a thunderstorm erupted. Upon their return, they discovered lightning had hit the major again, paralyzing his right side. With therapy, he recovered two years later. Six years later, while vacationing in Vancouver, British Columbia, lightning struck him again. He was permanently paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. In July 1934, lightning hit his gravesite, shattering his tombstone.

Fastcast: Showers.

Showers likely, mainly after 9 a.m. High near 90. Westerly winds 5 mph. Rain chance: 60 percent. Tonight: Scattered showers before 1 a.m. Low around 75. Rain chance: 40 percent.