I wonder if Michael Day, one of your regular contributors, or others who are constantly warning us about the rich getting richer at the expense of the other 99 percent could help me with a bit more information. My figures aren't exact, but it is generally understood and reported that only about 50 percent of our citizens pay any federal income tax at all, thus the IRS can't expect to squeeze anything out of them for that upper 1 percent. The other 49 percent includes a lot of folks like myself. Looks like we are the only ones whom the government can turn to in order to get the money needed for the asset transfer to the 1 percent.

Congress Taxes

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., accompanied at right by Secretary for the Majority Laura Dove, walks to the chamber as Republicans in the House and Senate plan to pass the sweeping $1.5 trillion GOP tax bill on party-line votes, at the Capitol in Washington, Monday, Dec. 18, 2017. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Our new law, however, does not take more from the 49 percent but actually even less, now so where is the government going to get the money to make the 1 percent richer at the expense of the other 99 percent in our country? Does anyone think the feds might come to our homes in the middle of the night, break in like the special prosecutor has done, and tear through our belongings, taking our piggy bank? Will they take our homes, cars, bicycles, etc? Just exactly what is the source of the valuables the feds will need to take in order to pull off this enormous transfer of wealth?

Letters: Tax plan won't work without cuts

Velton Knight

retired administrator

Baton Rouge