Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and off turf
8. Casino Beach: Drops down after getting out run should get good trip outside.
7. Our Bernattete: Llikely pacesetter will be tough to run down if able to clear off.
12. Minecraft: Post is not good, but has style to fit the track profile going ling.
11. Witts Henny Penny: Might be finding easier with this group on dirt.
If on turf: 4-10
2. Mia Bella Rosa: Has won twice including at the selling level and drops in for win.
5. In Full Swing: Drops down here after a couple of early wins.
1. Mizztic Tale: Inside speed with a jockey who will send to take advantage.
5. Wicked Stride: Drops and gets Chantal — has one good dirt form race.
If on turf: 8-7
8. Mariahs Galaxy: Changing barns coming off a win should sit the perfect trip.
4. Meadow Gem: First off the claim for hot trainer and stable — fits with improvement.
3. Conquest Tiz One: Barn change and has two wins over the FG dirt strip.
11. Carolina Jasmine: Entered for the main track only — MTO — so pointed here.
If on turf: 6-5
1. Russell Cave: Goes from outside at mile to inside at a sprint — positive move.
2. Oater: Has shown some interest in last few and faces weak field here.
7. Lucky Bucky: Beat a nice horse in last — has speed to clear and go all the way.
9. Midnight Candle: Beat an OK group in last seems to have some tracking speed.
If on turf: 3-2
3. Dickie Do Wrong: Got to the front first out — stretches out here speed a plus.
10. Custom Ridge: Awful trip in last will be better today with cleaner trip.
Around the track
The weather was surely not New Orleans like this week and because of that the turf racing was limited to either none or a few races today. Rain makes the grass, or the dirt/sand foundation underneath the grass, soggy and deep causing horse’s hooves to stick in the bottom. This is dangerous and also can increase the “kick back” or the clods of mud the horses kick up as they run. This is why after a rain the track will move races off the turf to the dirt track — for safety reasons and to protect the course for later races in the meet.
Our best bet today will be in Race 8 No. 7 Lucky Bucky. If the race comes off the turf as expected this one can clear and take them home at a nice price.
Good luck and may they all come home safely.