Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok is also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., an award winning national political consulting firm based in Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @beychokracing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
1/1a. Both parts of the entry are top choice here if both run very tough.
8. Cork Arm: Will be positioned off the early speed for his run to lead.
1. Trust in Diane: Moved a bit early last out still ran bang up second.
5. Shezaprado: Big late move overtook the top choice who turns tables today.
If off turf: 2-6
1. Jake the Band Man: Likely big favorite but looks tough to beat today.
10. Kzixon Vengeance: Showed some interest in last & gets Chantal.
6. Taranto: No one riding turf better that Flo Geaux and has outside post.
1. G’s Turn: Sticking with the 1’s theme with stakes placed horse back on turf.
If off turf: 14-2
2. Missive: Nice maiden win easy as you please and can step right up here.
1. Saguaro Row: A run back to the maiden win puts this one in winner’s circle.
3. Run Your Race: Better than form indicates for a longshot to blow up the board.
1. Good Offense: Looked great until ducking in near finish in last.
If off turf: 1-10
7. Leslie May: Should really appreciate the longer distance for today’s heat.
2. Memorial Drive: Chased going short now will have speed to lead here.
3. Patrick’s Day: Claimed by super sharp trainer — keeps form to win here.
4. Rapid Red: Another one changing barns today and fits nicely.
If off turf: 2-1
3. Naughty Little Nun: Speeds and strong pick if track comes up sloppy at the end.
9. Dreamy Art: Won off the screen last year on a sloppy track here so pay attention.
Around the track
Great card today, very competitive fields for a Saints’ Sunday. Please pay attention to the track condition as rain is in the forecast. The selections are made with a fast track in mind, but a wet track later in the card. There are selections for on/off turf for those races as well but if there is softer turn the outside part of the track is a bit better than the inside and some jockeys — like Florent Geroux — know this and ride the turf accordingly.
Our best bet today will be in Race 4, No. 6 Taranto. Hope this one stays on the turf today as this one has big change at a nice price. If sloppy — best bet Race 9, No. 3 Naughty Little Nun. Good luck and may they all come home safely.