Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok is also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., an award winning national political consulting firm based in Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @beychokracing.
Picks made today for fast rack and on turf.
2. To Be Famous: Ground saving trip might be the difference for this one today.
3. Wave Dancer: Drops and gets turf which all siblings loved a price play.
IF OFF TURF: 5-12
4. Start a War: Speed on hand can carry this one to the winner’s circle.
3. Top Mention: Dropping but retains Robby so that is a positive sign.
4. Cool Spring: Long shot play here showed speed faded works right back talented.
7. Feisty Embrace: Will be running on late to try to get to the speed leaders.
7. Restless Rambler: Just faster than these and gets his perfect distance on turf.
3. Banana Thief: Should be able to sit behind big speed of top choice to make a run.
IF OFF TURF: 5-7
1. Economies of Scale: Going to forgive the sloppy track effort — this one is talented.
3. Logic of Absurdity: Love these synthetic to dirt moves and has breeding for dirt run.
12. Macho Orb: First time turf for this Orb sired filly will be key statistic — price play.
7. One Chance Fancy: Has been trying to get to turf in first two starts breeding a plus.
IF OFF TURF: 2-1
4. Greeley Went West: This one is special sprinting — repeat of last wins here.
5. Pound for Pound: If speed collapses this one will benefit at a price — beware.
10. Aspening: Has always trained well posting top ranked works with good connections.
12. Will Ye Go Lassie: Training well after a couple of OK runs including one on turf.
IF OFF TURF: 12-11
9. Memory Magic: Looks like a solid class dropper here for hot connections.
2. Anything but Amie: Might get overlooked in wagering, but has run well both outs.
Around the track
Jockey Gerard Melancon will make a rare appearance today mounting up on Ready Prospector in the 7th race, but last week “Gee Money/G$” accepted his 30,000th mount in a horse race. Those mounts have won 4.652 times and nearly 80 million dollars in a brilliant and continuing career. Melancon is currently third in the standings at Delta Downs winning at a 27 percent strike rate proving that at age 51 GeeMoney is still one of the best jockeys riding in the country. Hope to see more of Melancon here at the Fair Grounds as the meet progresses into 2018.
Our best bet today will be in Race 7 No. 4 Greeley Went West. First two races were rather easy wins, gets tougher competition Sunday but should handle the rise up.
Good luck and may they all come home safely.