Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok is also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., an award winning national political consulting firm based in Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @beychokracing.
Picks made Thursday for fast track and on turf.
6. Gentle Commitment: First off claim change in barns and rider change positives.
1. Stolen Candy: Giving this one another shot tough pace set in last easier today.
7. Voodoo Spell: Always pick this one — loves the track — had too much to do in last.
3. Six Schillings: Like the cutback to sprinting and goes first for Amoss.
6. Minister of War: Hoping the drop helps this one — jocks sticks to ride.
3. Spanish Art: Certainly seems to fit at this level after two good runs in last 2.
9. Lunarstrike: Picks up good turf rider Beschizza and fits in this scenario.
1. Moonlighnmidnight: Lost to a nice horse I think in last — hot rider Flo Geaux on.
2. Our Millie: Takes a big drop after showing speed in most competitive runs.
5. Mangos Muse: Back to dirt after a try on turf following a bit of a layoff — improves.
8. Katies Cowboy: Trainer can win first out — this one working well — Graham rides.
9. Verhalen: Sharp and Beschizza on for this first timer also working well.
1. Just Old School: This one’s momma was stone cold runner who won first time out.
5. Telekinesis: Have heard some buzz about this one so must be able to run.
2. Runninwiththewind: Intersteing mount here — Geroux rode first out to nice finish.
9. Feelin Foxie: Like the stretch out so should show some early zip from City Zip line.
6. Jack’s Gray Girl: Comes back off a layoff but working well and catches easy group.
5. Honest Star: Gets a fast track — hopefully— today and should like less moisture.
Around the track
The cold weather has cooled off Chok’s Choices, but we have done some extra studying as we prepare for the National Horseplayers Championship coming up in a few weeks. Hope the extra time and hard work pays off for our loyal followers and for me in Las Vegas in two weeks.
Here are the up to date season totals for Chok’s Choices:
336-60-80-51=18 percent; Win/57 percent; In the Money/.71 Return or ROI
For Chok’s Second Choices or “the unders”
324–69-59-45=21 percent; Win/53 percent; In the Money/.93 Return or ROI
Our best bet Thursday will be in Race 4 No. 9 Lunarstrike. Taking a bit of a price shot here to start off the week.
Good luck and may they all come home safely.