Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok is also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., an award winning national political consulting firm based in Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @beychokracing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
9. Billy Big: Didn’t get the best of trips in last so another chance big odds.
7. Alaskan Son: Got run off his feet early and leader shot away – another shot.
If off turf: 10-1
1. Saguaro Row: Impressive first out thrown into stakes next finds easier today.
4. Go Google Yourself: Run against nice horses every start and shown well.
10. Tessa’s Treat: Draws outside today which is beneficial I believe to running style.
1. Run To Glory: This one draws rail and has some early zip so should not be a problem.
1. Sea Vow: Fast track and this one looks to be best here under Mitchell Murrill.
2. My Pal Torres: Reunited with trainer Lovell and jockey Pedroza loves this track.
5. Ava Atticus: Ran behind big next out winner in Salt Bae — drops in for win.
1. Sweet Cause: Tries to cut back to sprinting and drops into claimers today.
5. Top Mention: Two fast track dirt efforts are lengths better than anyone in this field.
1. Hellofaguy: Expecting a bit better effort second off the layoff for sharp trainer.
5. Girls Life: Logical drop here to 30K sellers after a couple off efforts in stakes.
4. Rousallka: Gritty effort despite some bumping going on late in the stretch.
7. Shanikos Secret: The drop helped this one and this is the level for competitiveness.
5. Cork Arm: Throw out the last and this one’s efforts seem to be OK in this context.
1. My Pal Kay: Nothing spectacular here looks like the best of this not so great field.
5. Custom Ridge: Has been in contention going shorter now gets a stretch out try.
Around the track
Some wintry weather closed the track here yesterday but there is a good card on tap today for the Starlight Racing special post time of 5 pm. There might not be turf racing today but tomorrow’s card should be good to go. Your guess is as good as mine as to how this wintry weather and freeze affects the track so bear with us for the next few days.
Here are the up to date season totals for Chok’s Choices:
311-57-76-49=18 percent — Win/58 percent, In the Money/.74 return or ROI
For Chok’s Second Choices or “the unders”
299–65-53-40=22 percent — Win/53 percent, In the Money/.95 return or ROI
Our best bet Friday will be in Race 5 No. 5 Ava Atticus. Last race competition was tough and faces much easier today.
Good luck and may they all come home safely.