Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
3. Color Me Pretty: Hard to get past the logical favorite here in the opener.
9. Tiz de Lovely: Owned and trained by Joe Sharp — has shown some interest.
8. Trust in Diane: Working well — proven over turf — right running style — strong pick.
3. Dancing Waves: Back to realistic level and will be in the mix late.
4. Mitchnjohnny: Has the speed to get lead under Chantal — needs alert break.
9. Ty Diesel: Also possesses speed to get lead and will be tough to run down.
7. Sun and Sand: Has sneaky good race over this turf last year — drops a bit too.
12. Disinclined: Could be overlooked on the outside but fits nicely in this heat.
4. Forevamo: Fan of this one — likes track — ran half behind Gun Runner here last year.
3. Will Call: Has an upset shot based on brief record – has talent to sprint.
2. Remedy: Had a bit of trouble in first race and has worked steadily since that effort.
1. Last Play: Looks to be the main challenger to top pick based on first out effort.
3. Katalust: Seems to have a huge pace edge here and will be tough to run down.
2. Shakti: Fits but the closing style might work against him in this spot.
11. Gator Tough: Ran well here on turf last year — will be a huge price in here.
12. Roar of the Lion: Fits perfectly in here on numbers and style.
10. Wathan: Crazy reach horse of the day has a chance to upset at huge odds.
5. Tengey: Has win over the track and is in a new barn expect some improvement.
10. Roses Asset: Will be tough to run down if she gets the lead in here.
2. Open Interest: Gets back on dirt and is coming off a layoff here.
Around the track
As we move through the season and readers use Chok’s Choices to make a wager or two I want to alert readers on how to best use the selections. While the “top choice” is our main selection, the “unders” or the horses selected to run second/third should be carefully considered as bets – especially when the odds are too low on the top selection and the odds very high on the second choice. A “too low” odds range would be less than 8-5 for my purposes but others may be able to bet at even money. On Thursday we had a 17-1 shot win and a 40-1 shot get nose bobbed so don’t ignore those underneath selections this year.
Our best bet Sunday will be in Race 8. Let’s try to crush this exacta with the three outside horses all of whom can win at big odds. Exacta box of 10-11-12 with a win bet on 10 and 11. Good luck and may they all come home safely.